Saturday, June 6, 2009

Favorite quotes from "part asian - 100% hapa"

In the book part asian - 100% hapa,
participants were asked to answer the question "Who are you?"

thai, indian, scottish, lithuanian

Really? You don't look Thai. Well let me look again. Yeah now I
can see it around your eyes. You know Thai food is my favorite.
Were you born in Thailand? Do you speak, what is it, Thai-wanese?
Do you dream in English or Thai-wanese? You really don't
have an accent at all.

japanese, swedish, english, irish
I am the dialectic of the melting pot.
I am samurai - annoyingly errogant, intellectually
fearless, eyes trained to observe, mind to reflect.
I seek communion but do not dwell on sentiment.
I am my Nisei mom's obssession to prove democracy's
eventual triumph.
I am the privelege of freedom - a white man walking
away from whiteness.
I am World War II. After Internment, my mom moved
to chicago where she met my WWII veteran dad. I
am the world opening up. I am my parents defying
war's prejudice & confusion by making babies to love.
But mostly I am "mixed". That's what we called it back
in '69, when I was in sixth grade. Now I teach sixth
graders, & many of them still use the term "mixed". I
like being mixed. It is a good tribe to be in, &
it has many brothers & sisters.

guamanian, filipino
I am a Family Man / People person

====================================

chinese, english, scottish, german

My last boyfriend told me he liked me because of my race.
So I dumped him.

====================================

japanese, french, cherokee, irish

I am millions of particles fused together
making up a far les than perfect
masterpiece. I am the big bang.

====================================

No comments:

Post a Comment