Friday, September 9, 2011

SPEA Retreat

I spent all afternoon today at a retreat organized by the IU School of Public and Environmental Affairs (SPEA) Faculty Group on Governance and Management. More than two dozen members of the SPEA faculty, both junior and senior scholars, gave brief introductions to ourselves and our work. Every one of the presentations was fascinating. I was highly impressed at the caliber of my new SPEA colleagues, and am very excited to be working with them.

Here are my two favorite phrases from today's presentations:

     "empirically proven moral adjectives;" and

     "civicky things".

The retreat took place at the Stone Age Institute, north of Bloomington. It's a very interesting place in a bucolic setting. It seems to be a well-kept secret around Bloomington - I had never heard of it prior to the initial announcement of this retreat - but I look forward to returning for future events there.

No comments:

Post a Comment