Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Why do some couples mix while others don't?




I've been trying to figure out why some people choose a spouse of the same ethnicity while others choose a spouse of a different ethnicity.
Speaking for myself (European-American), I choose a spouse of a different ethnicity because:
* I have a preference for pigmentation and dark hair.
* I didn't want someone who looks like my mom or sister.
* I don't feel particularly comfortable around the historical oppressor phenotype.
* I want to move away from "whiteness" (historical oppressor phenotype).
* I like the idea of hybrids.
* I get to think I'm thwarting the system of "racial" categories to avoid future segregation.

As to why some people choose a spouse of the same ethnicity, I would assume.
* They have a preference for the phenotype that happens to match their own.
* They don't have any weird hangups about people who might look like their relative.
* They might be proud of their ethnicity and want to make more of their ethnic type.

For more on the topic see:

No comments:

Post a Comment