Monday, December 13, 2010

Snow Day

I was supposed to drive to Bloomington early this morning for the "mini-conference" at the Workshop, where I was to present a paper and chair a panel. Unfortunately, 3-5 inches of snow and high winds have made the drive too treacherous, and I've decided to stay home. I hate disappointing my friends and colleagues at the Workshop, but I think my informal risk assessment was a good one. I've sent my PowerPoint slides to someone who is intimately familiar with the work I was to present; he will probably do a better job than I could have done anyway; and nearly anyone present can serve as a fill-in chair for the other panel.

Overall, I'd say missing the mini-conference because of bad weather is less disappointing than the last conference I was forced to miss because bad weather in another city severely disrupted my travel plans: that conference was in Aix-en-Provence, and the bad weather that prevented me getting there was in Philadelphia.

I will take the snow-day opportunity to start grading exams and do some prep for next semester's Climate Law & Policy course.

No comments:

Post a Comment