Thursday, November 18, 2010

Harry Potter and the Curse of the Midnight Show

The Harry Potter series has spawned numerous Cyclingprof family traditions. As each book came out, I would read them aloud (complete with poorly-done characterizations) to the family. Then, on road trips we would listen to the audio versions of the books (the early ones on cassette, the later books on compact disc) read by the inimitable Jim Dale. We would go the midnight show to see each film on opening night. And, finally we would buy the DVDs and video games.

Tonight the tradition continues. My daughter is taking the bus up from Bloomington, my son will be taking a peremptory nap this afternoon, and my wife and I will be drinking lots of tea to help us stay away for tonight's midnight extravaganza. The actual quality of the film doesn't much matter to my brood (although I walked out on the film of the fourth book because I thought the portrayal of Dumbledore was too loud and the Director sacrificed everything else in the book for the action scenes).  The reviews from England of the new film have been mixed, but the several positive reviews have made me cautiously optimistic. I'll file my own review tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment