Sunday, May 22, 2011

Daniels Not Running for President

The New York Times is reporting that Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels has decided against running for president. I take this to mean that he does not believe he can defeat the incumbent in the general election. For a long time, I believed that Daniels could not win the Republican nomination. I changed my mind about that in recent weeks as the Republican field began to form, and as Daniels burnished his social-conservative credentials by signing a controversial abortion law defunding Planned Parenthood in the state of Indiana.

To what extent was Daniels' decision determined by the recent killing of Osama bin Laden? I believe that event secured reelection for President Obama, absent the occurrence of some equally dramatic disaster between now and election day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment